On Friday my order of CPVC pipes and fittings arrived, so on Saturday I spent some time working on the mash tun project. I’ve got the lauter manifold mostly done now, and building the sparge manifold will go quicker now that I know what I’m doing a little better. I still have to figure out how the outflow will work, and that’s going to mean actually modifying the cooler itself, so I figure I’m about a third done overall.
Pictures of the manifold assembly process after the jump.
I checked on my two current brews last night. The barleywine — slightly modified from the “Big 10/20 Barley Wine” recipe at beertown.org — has been proceeding very slowly since racking off the ale yeast and pitching champagne yeast, but from its original gravity of 1.132 it was down to 1.092 when I racked it, and it’s now at 1.077. It’s got a ways to go yet, so I think I’ll need to make up a small starter of the champagne yeast to try to get it going.
When I racked the barleywine, I decided it would be a shame to waste its yeast bed, so I brewed a coffee porter (which for lack of a better name I’m calling “Dark Roast”) and put it in the same carboy on top of the old yeast. It was down from 1.060 to 1.022, or about 5% ABV, when I checked it last night, which I’m willing to consider good enough, so I racked it, and I’ll probably bottle next weekend. It tastes very good — nicely roasty, with a coffee flavor that’s distinct but somewhat subtle — so I’m quite pleased with how it came out. I’ll post the recipe I used for it a bit later; I’m thinking I may start putting up recipes as pages under the main Matters Zymurgical tab up top, rather than as regular posts.
To lift up one thing, lift up the adjoining.
Something there is that doesn't love a wall,— Robert Frost, "Mending Wall"
That wants it down
Everyone knows there is no fineness or accuracy of suppression. If you hold down one thing, you hold down the adjoining.— Saul Bellow, The Adventures of Augie March
[N]either the term Orient nor the concept of the West has any ontological stability; each is made up of human effort, partly affirmation, partly identification of the Other.— Edward Said, Orientalism (25th Anniversary Edition)
Beer is proof God loves us, and wants us to be happy— Benjamin Franklin
Because the world is not a floating sequence of unfortunate events; it's an edifice with foundations, load-bearing walls, plumbing, wiring, ductwork; and in order to renovate, you need to study those structures.— Kai Chang
— Woody Guthrie
- Beat fascism.
- Love everybody.
- Make up your mind.
- Wake up and fight.
- is 'Drug Life' your song or is it a cover? it doesn't really seem like you except for the drugs part
- The Grey: Tackling depression, masculinity, suicide, survival, and magical wolves.
- do you listen to the podcast "Welcome to Nightvale"? It's an NPR-style podcast about a small town overrun with eldtritch horrors. it contains lines like this: "The Boy Scouts of Night Vale have announced some slight changes to their hierarchy, which will now be as follows: Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Eagle Scout, Blood Pact Scout, Weird Scout, Dreadnought Scout, Dark Scout, Fear Scout, and finally, Eternal Scout." It seems like it might be your thing
- The Strange Rituals of TEDxSummerisle
- Rasputin's daughter on a 1935 Wheaties box
- EQUIP WOLF SHIRT; USE:WHISKEY// ON: SURVIVAL
- Google+ Hangouts for Android now live, replaces Google Talk [UPDATE]
- Turn Your Monitor Sideways: Raiden Legacy Out On PC
- Steam players can now earn coupons for new games by playing old ones
- NOTES ON IMAGINARY EXTANT, LOST, DELETED, AND UNRECORDED TRACKS WRITTEN, PERFORMED, RECORDED FOR OR DURING THE PERIOD OF TIME IN THE LIFE OF JOHN DARNIELLE THAT WOULD PRODUCE "ALL HAIL WEST TEXAS" NOT INCLUDED IN THIS COLLECTION BECAUSE THEY ARE ALL IMAGINARY
- Build Your Own 65 Ford Mustang
- Cripes: Humble Voxatron Making A Ton
- News From The Future – Nidar Singh Wants You…
- Moss-beast still prefers to call these autumn days...
- Pop Voxel: Humble Debut For Voxatron
- First picture of Arduino in Radioshack – @arduinoteam @makershed @radioshack
- "How Occupy Wall Street Cost Me My Job"
- Atmospheric Underwater Diorama Photography
- Republican Scott Brown releases new image ad campaign
All Posts and Pages ©2010 Scott Madin under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.