I started trying to grow hops in my backyard last year. Between being busy developing their root systems, and occasional run-ins with a weedwhacker, they never got very far, and only the Cascade (I had also planted Mt. Hood and Sunbeam) made it through the winter. This year, though, I put up a proper wooden trellis and a little fence around the base of the bine to make sure it was clear that this is a thing that is supposed to be here.
I’m very happy to report that the Cascade is now bearing flowers! Some of them look close to ready for harvest, in fact. I am very excited about the prospect of brewing beer with hops I grew in my own yard.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
To lift up one thing, lift up the adjoining.
Something there is that doesn't love a wall,— Robert Frost, "Mending Wall"
That wants it down
Everyone knows there is no fineness or accuracy of suppression. If you hold down one thing, you hold down the adjoining.— Saul Bellow, The Adventures of Augie March
[N]either the term Orient nor the concept of the West has any ontological stability; each is made up of human effort, partly affirmation, partly identification of the Other.— Edward Said, Orientalism (25th Anniversary Edition)
Beer is proof God loves us, and wants us to be happy— Benjamin Franklin
Because the world is not a floating sequence of unfortunate events; it's an edifice with foundations, load-bearing walls, plumbing, wiring, ductwork; and in order to renovate, you need to study those structures.— Kai Chang
— Woody Guthrie
- Beat fascism.
- Love everybody.
- Make up your mind.
- Wake up and fight.
- “‘We Have Always Fought’: Challenging the ‘Women, Cattle and Slaves’ Narrative” by Kameron Hurley
- Amazon sets up system to trade on fan fiction
- Not Too Late For The Helicopters
- Polyptical Discourse: The Kingsport Cases
- Xbox One lets you save and restart your game at any point
- unconsciousplots: johndarnielle: ladythatsmyskull: Ad from...
- I'm gonna disagree with something you said a while back: nerdcore is in fact racist, because its appeal is a combination of "see it's funny because only black people do raps and black people can't be nerds" and "oh finally some raps about things I care about and not murder and hos and bling". Both of which are super-racist.
- ladythatsmyskull: Ad from Wanted Comics #24 (April 1950). IT...
- Xbox One requires plugged-in Kinect to function
- is 'Drug Life' your song or is it a cover? it doesn't really seem like you except for the drugs part
- Build Your Own 65 Ford Mustang
- Cripes: Humble Voxatron Making A Ton
- News From The Future – Nidar Singh Wants You…
- Moss-beast still prefers to call these autumn days...
- Pop Voxel: Humble Debut For Voxatron
- First picture of Arduino in Radioshack – @arduinoteam @makershed @radioshack
- "How Occupy Wall Street Cost Me My Job"
- Atmospheric Underwater Diorama Photography
- Republican Scott Brown releases new image ad campaign
All Posts and Pages ©2010 Scott Madin under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.