A thing I made: 2edStatBot, for all your Twitter old-school RPG needs.
I’ve been toying with the idea of, and over the weekend finally got around to finishing, a silly little Twitter bot, 2edStatBot, which generates a set of AD&D 2nd Edition stats — old school, 3d6 in order — picks a class recommendation based on a not-very-sophisticated algorithm (re-rolling if it can’t find a recommendation, which in practice means if every stat came out below 9), and tweets the result, every ten minutes:
STR 11 DEX 9 CON 17 INT 16 WIS 10 CHA 14 (Mage)—
AD&D 2nd Ed Stats (@2edStatBot) January 28, 2013
The code is basically just Darius Kazemi’s Metaphor-a-Minute, except with all the metaphor-related guts replaced by random-number-related guts, and like Darius’s bots, it’s running on Nodejitsu (in fact, since Nodejitsu requires apps to respond to HTTP requests, I figured that endpoint might as well do the same thing as the Twitter bot, so if you want, you can go get a D&D character there, too).
I’ll upload the source code here shortly; it’s rather hacky but it works. I should probably put it on some public source control repository or something, but I never did figure out git. At some point I plan to make it respond to mentions, so you could tweet “@2edStatBot roll me a ranger” and it would respond with an appropriate set of stats.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
To lift up one thing, lift up the adjoining.
Something there is that doesn't love a wall,— Robert Frost, "Mending Wall"
That wants it down
Everyone knows there is no fineness or accuracy of suppression. If you hold down one thing, you hold down the adjoining.— Saul Bellow, The Adventures of Augie March
[N]either the term Orient nor the concept of the West has any ontological stability; each is made up of human effort, partly affirmation, partly identification of the Other.— Edward Said, Orientalism (25th Anniversary Edition)
Beer is proof God loves us, and wants us to be happy— Benjamin Franklin
Because the world is not a floating sequence of unfortunate events; it's an edifice with foundations, load-bearing walls, plumbing, wiring, ductwork; and in order to renovate, you need to study those structures.— Kai Chang
— Woody Guthrie
- Beat fascism.
- Love everybody.
- Make up your mind.
- Wake up and fight.
- EQUIP WOLF SHIRT; USE:WHISKEY// ON: SURVIVAL
- Google+ Hangouts for Android now live, replaces Google Talk [UPDATE]
- Turn Your Monitor Sideways: Raiden Legacy Out On PC
- Steam players can now earn coupons for new games by playing old ones
- NOTES ON IMAGINARY EXTANT, LOST, DELETED, AND UNRECORDED TRACKS WRITTEN, PERFORMED, RECORDED FOR OR DURING THE PERIOD OF TIME IN THE LIFE OF JOHN DARNIELLE THAT WOULD PRODUCE "ALL HAIL WEST TEXAS" NOT INCLUDED IN THIS COLLECTION BECAUSE THEY ARE ALL IMAGINARY
- The Ideological and Material Underpinnings of the Austerity Con
- The Hawkeye Initiative • Special Guest Edition: The Hawkeye Initiative IRL!
- Feds seize money from top Bitcoin exchange Mt. Gox
- Pistol plans hit P2P after creator pulls design offline
- Report: Microsoft’s next console will be called Xbox Infinity
- Build Your Own 65 Ford Mustang
- Cripes: Humble Voxatron Making A Ton
- News From The Future – Nidar Singh Wants You…
- Moss-beast still prefers to call these autumn days...
- Pop Voxel: Humble Debut For Voxatron
- First picture of Arduino in Radioshack – @arduinoteam @makershed @radioshack
- "How Occupy Wall Street Cost Me My Job"
- Atmospheric Underwater Diorama Photography
- Republican Scott Brown releases new image ad campaign
All Posts and Pages ©2010 Scott Madin under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.