Barack Hussein Obama is the 44th President. George W. Bush is no longer in office.
The Grove St. Amber III is in bottles now — 52 bottles, which is a pretty good yield. I meant to get started bottling yesterday, and get both the amber and the coffee porter done this weekend, but the porter will have to wait until tomorrow. Also need to get labels printed up, but for now I’ve borrowed a friend’s method of just marking the caps with a Sharpie. Although there’s something appealing about the idea of just not labeling any of them, and making it a game of chance. Perhaps next time I bottle two batches in a row.
That’s all for now. My hydrometer broke last weekend, so I wasn’t able to take a final gravity reading, but that’s not really terribly important.
On Sunday the 23rd I made a third batch of my very successful Grove Street Amber Ale. The hop bill is a bit different from the previous batches, due to limited selection, but it should be pretty close.
The recipe is here.
I haven’t written about beer (or, indeed, about anything else) in quite a while; real life has interfered with my blogging time to an alarming degree, as health, career and living space issues of various sorts have been abundant. In the immortal words of Harrison Ford, however, “we’re all fine … here … now. How are you?”
The Grove Street Amber was a huge success, so I brewed another batch (with slightly different ingredients; two cans of light malt syrup instead of one light and one extra-light, and WLP002 instead of 005), which also came out very good. I finally bottled the Grove Street Pilsener last weekend. And on March 17th I brewed the following recipe, which in keeping with my extremely clever naming system, I call Grove Street Brown Ale.
Two cans (6.6lbs) light malt extract syrup, 1lb Crystal 60, 0.5lb chocolate malt, 0.25lb roasted barley and 0.25lb black patent malt, for an estimated final color of about 31° and OG of 1.055. 1oz of Cascade plugs for 60 minutes, 1oz of Vanguard plugs for 10 minutes and 1oz of Vanguard plugs for 2 minutes, for an expected 33 IBUs. WLP001 yeast.
I expect to bottle that today, so shortly I’ll find out how it turned out.
[Supplemental, 2008-04-14: One week after bottling the Grove Street Pilsener, I'm trying a glass to see how it's doing. It's absolutely not pilsener-colored — much too dark, more like a pale ale or even an amber in color; I expect that's largely because of the mixup with the extracts. But it tastes pretty all right, though it's not quite possessed of the near-Platonic crispness I associate with Urquell et al. I think before I attempt any more lagers I really need to set up a lagering mini-fridge, because the basement just didn't ever get cold enough for long enough, it was mostly above 50°F.]
A companion to the Grove Street Pilsener, I brewed Grove Street Amber Ale on Sunday afternoon. It was supposed to use two cans of light malt extract, but due to the mistake I mentioned in the Pilsener post, I ended up using one can of extra light and one of light. The pound of Crystal 60 I steeped will presumably be the dominant factor in the color of this one anyway, and I was able to find the hops I wanted in whole leaf. I used an ounce each of Fuggle and Willamette for boiling, half an ounce of each for flavor, and half an ounce each for finishing, and White Labs’s WLP005 British Ale yeast. Like the pilsener, the original gravity ended up about 1.048.