Matters Zymurgical

Grove Street Summer Wheat, Big IPA

I’m late posting about this, but waaaay back on June 28th, I brewed Grove Street Summer Wheat.  I finally got around to bottling it last Sunday, July 26th.  Oops.  It was my first foray into stovetop partial-mash brewing, which went surprisingly well.

This past Monday, 7/27, I tried it again, making Grove Street Big IPA, which I expect to be bottling in about another week and a half.

Both recipes used a mash of 4lbs grain, and I calculated the volume and temperature for the strike and sparge water with the very handy SpargePal app on my iPod.  The whole procedure required the use of all four pots in my 2/3/4/5-gallon stockpot set, and I’m sure that with a better sparging method I could get much clearer wort, but overall I’m very happy with the results so far (but ask me again once I’ve tried one of the beers!).

Advertisements

Grove Street Pale Ale (A)

Last night I brewed Grove Street Pale Ale (A).  The “(A)” is because I had previously drawn up a Grove Street Pale Ale recipe, which I haven’t brewed yet, and this one is different.  I tried the mini-mash yeast starter again, and it seems to have worked well.

This is a nice, simple pale ale, with what should be a pretty good hop bite.  I thought something light would be good to complement the dark, dry Grove Street Stout.  I think I’ll do something more complicated next time, possibly a saison.

Grove Street Stout

Just brewed Grove Street Stout, actually my first stout in…six or seven years, I think.  Nothing very fancy, should be nice and dry, a little bit over the gravity and IBU limits for the BJCP Dry Stout style, but well within the range for American Stout.  Used Glacier for flavor and aroma, so we’ll see how that goes; I’ve been trying to branch out to different hops lately.  Also tried making a quart yeast starter 24 hours in advance this time, so hopefully that’ll get fermentation going right quick.  It was kind of fun doing the stovetop mash for the half-pound of grain I used for the starter; made me wish I had the space, equipment and time to do all-grain brews…

Bottling Day Pt. II

Got the “Dark Roast” Coffee Porter bottled — a big yield, 54 bottles, which I’m pleased about — and a friend came over to help, and brought a hydrometer, so I know the final gravity for this one: about 1.016, which is right around what I expected.  So with the standard assistance fee of a six-pack, I’ve got 100 bottles conditioning in the basement now: always a good thing.

Bottling Day Pt. I

The Grove St. Amber III is in bottles now — 52 bottles, which is a pretty good yield.  I meant to get started bottling yesterday, and get both the amber and the coffee porter done this weekend, but the porter will have to wait until tomorrow.  Also need to get labels printed up, but for now I’ve borrowed a friend’s method of just marking the caps with a Sharpie.  Although there’s something appealing about the idea of just not labeling any of them, and making it a game of chance.  Perhaps next time I bottle two batches in a row.

That’s all for now.  My hydrometer broke last weekend, so I wasn’t able to take a final gravity reading, but that’s not really terribly important.

Grove Street "Dark Roast" Coffee Porter II

On Saturday the 22nd, I made a new batch of the coffee porter I made about a year ago.  Of course, I couldn’t find any copies written down of my recipe, so I made up a new one from scratch.  I was going to use Challenger for bittering and Fuggles for flavor and aroma, but hop supplies are still hit-and-miss, so I ended up with Amarillo and Mt. Hood instead; we’ll see how those work out.  Ten cups of very strong brewed, fresh-roasted Sumatra Blue Batak peaberry will give it plenty of coffee flavor, and the roasted barley and chocolate and black patent malts will make it nice and dark.

The recipe is over here.